Hey guys. So down here in South Africa things have been getting a little crazy. Not crazy bad. Just crazy "hectic" like they say it down here. Last Monday the food service and grounds staff went on strike for higher wages. I hear they're paid around R2000 a month, which is about $243. Apparently they're paid 10% higher than average and our professors are paid 35% lower than average. So the University wanted to spend its surplus on giving the professors a raise. Basically: our showers haven't been cleaned in about a week and a half, and we've had students volunteering their time to serve meals. Up until last night we'd been given sack lunches for dinner and had to supplement them on our own as needed. Today the strike has officially ended, the interdict which was placed on the union has been lifted, and hopefully on the food and cleaning front things will be going back to normal for the students, and be a little better for the workers as well.
Meanwhile, something is going on with the municipal water supply, because two or three times since Sunday we have run out of water on campus. This means no flushing toilets, no water from the tap, no showers, no laundry. Its hella awesome. Just when I start to think this country has got its act together the water stops working and reminds me that there's still a lot to be done. I've never had the tap water simply not work and it puts things into perspective. I'm really privileged to have running water and my command whenever I want. And furthermore there really is a water crisis going on worldwide and we should all do what we can to conserve. Military showers people. I know its a pain in the ass, but it needs to be done.
Alright, that's my 2 cents. :) Enjoy your day!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I feel like I'm going to be getting that sort of feeling alot in Quito. While it's a pretty developed city, it's still in South America so it's got its issues.
ReplyDeleteYes for water conservation! Sounds like you're really getting the "learn to do without" experience so far ;)
I leave tmrw!!! Aaahhh! I can't wait though! Your blog has made me so excited to finally get to my own country!